We don’t have to stress the importance of education and raising awareness concerning nature topics. This things should be done all the time and towards every single living person on the planet. Of course there are already many projects, activities, campaigns etc. who do so. The problem is that these efforts usually only reach people who do not need to be convinced anymore. The most important is trying to reach and convince non-green people. There should also be a focus on children.
International Week of the Forest: No forest – no future
This would be an international week to raise awareness for the forests and their role in the ecological system. One week of actions, presentations and projects to communicate this important topic to different target groups.
- Because there are working and successful examples in Europe (Belgium and Bulgaria)
- It is more efficient because we are already using an existing framework and also because linking organisations and participants enables us to create a bigger impact on public opinion.
- There is a lot of information out there, but it is not canalised, organised well enough and not getting through.
- Target groups: children, youngsters and adults of different social and age groups.
- Actors: FYEG, local green young organisations, other international and local NGOs (e.g. WWF, Greenpeace, Friend of the Earth, Birdlife International), different levels of governments.
Last week of April?
Suggestions for possible activities
- Age 0 : Plant a tree of life – can be sponsored by local authorities (registration), commercial organisations
- Age 3-6 : Animations in Kindergartens, talks, walks, games, creativity (e.g. bird nests, paintings made by the kids), “Walking trees”, cartoons and toys
- Age 6-10 : Planting a tree, adventure rally, arts and crafts, teaching, education e.g. biology lesson. Games, camp, programs through all media, nature table (small nature exhibition on a table)
- Age 10-14 : Summer camps, school parties, more specific environmental lessons
- Age 14-18 : International programs, creating products from nature products, importance of idols, stars, famous persons. Getting these persons involved, music, protest mailings, signatures, and cyber activism
- Age Adults : Awareness campaigns on forests, ecological consumption, possible causes in the future. Use empirical data, nature photographs, drawings etc. through all possible ways of communication (see media)
- Green point: fixed place in a newspaper about nature.
- Press conferences in the forest, press packages.
- Commercial spots (joke)
- No forest, no future slogan
- Use the media-contacts of participating NGOs
- Contacts with international and local press agencies and media.
How to realise this project?
- Present the idea of the project to FYEG to get their support
- Use the network and connections of FYEG to spread the idea to reach NGOs etc. on an international level. Make central common press conferences, press releases etc.
- The national young greens, the international and local organisations and authorities are supposed to develop the project.
- Evaluation at the end.